How to go to Shirakawa-go by bus
In this article, I am going to introduce how to take buses from the central (Chubu) cities to Shirakawa-go, and except introducing the locations of bus stations in each city, I will also give you some tips of taking bus in Japan.
As the previous article mentioned, there are four different bus routes to go to Shirakawa-go running by different bus company. Please see the map below.
The Bus routes information
Route C: Nagoya←→Shirakawa-go
*The time able C that didn’t mention is the route between Shirakawa-go and Hirase Onsen, 1 bus a day to go to Hirase Onsen (departure at 17:35), 2 buses to go to Shirakawa-go (8:30 and 9:30), need to make a reservation in advance.
Transportation time and fees
|Departure from||Travel time||Single ticket (yen)||Return ticket (yen)||Website for making reservation|
|Kanazawa||75-85 mins||1,850||3,290||need reservation|
|Takayama||50-57 mins||2,470||4,420||recommend to make reservations|
|Toyama||80 mins||1,700||3,080||need reservation|
|Nagoya||3 hr||3,900||7,000||need reservation|
＊also stop at Gokayama
|115-130 mins||1,800||3,500||Non-reserved bus|
＊Please click the links above to make a reservation at the websites
＊Online reservation is not available for the travelers with ”Takayam and Hokuriku pass”, please make a phone call or go to ticket office after come to Japan.
Reservation center phone number: +81(0)577-32-1688
(Japanese and English available)
Business hour: Japan time 9 AM-6 PM
I have made the simplify time tables of five different bus routes, please click the links below.
Departure from Kanazawa to Shirakawa-go (reservation required)
- Takes about 75-85 minutes
- Single ticket is 1,850 yen, return ticket is 3,290 yen
- You may purchase tickets at Hokutetsu ticket office and take the bus at bus stop No.2 which just in the front of east exit of JR Kanazawa station.
*Maps resource: Takayama Hokuriku pass
|Running by||Kanazawa station
|Hokuriku railroad bus||8:10||9:35|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||8:40||10:05|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||9:10||10:35|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||9:40||11:05|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||12:40||14:05|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||13:10||14:35|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||13:40||15:05|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||14:40||16:05|
Departure from Takayama to Shirakawa-go
- Takes about 50-57 minutes
- Single ticket is 2,470 yen, return ticket is 4,420 yen
- You may purchase tickets and reserve seats at Takayama bus terminal
*Maps resource: Takayama Hokuriku pass
|Running by||Takayama bus station
|Hokuriku railroad bus||11:20||12:10|
|Toyama Chihou railway||14:30||15:20|
|Toyama Chihou railway||15:50||16:40|
|Hokuriku railroad bus||16:30||17:20|
＊The bus highlighted by blue need to reserve seats in advance, and the one highlighted by orange do not running during weekend.
Departure from Toyama to Shirakawa-go (reservation required)
- Takes about 80 minutes
- Single ticket is 1,700 yen, return ticket is 3,080 yen
- Come out from the South exit of JR Toyama station and you can purchase tickets at Toyama Chihou railway ticket office. Please take the bus at bus stop No.2.
|Toyama Chihou railway||8:50||10:10|
|Toyama Chihou railway||10:35||11:55|
Departure from Nagoya to Shirakawa-go (reservation required)
- Takes about 3 hours
- Single ticket is 3.900 yen, return ticket is 7,000 yen
||2. If you come from Meitetsu Nagoya station: please take the stairs on the left, and then turn right. Turn right again at Starbucks coffee shop and continue straight to the next traffic light.|
|Nagoya Meitetsu station
The world heritage bus departure from Takaoka to Shirakawa-go
- Takes about 115-130 minutes
- Single ticket is 1.800 yen, return ticket is 3,500 yen
- From JR Takaoka station, please come out from the North exit and take the buses at bus stop No.7.
2. From Shin-Takaoka JR station (Shinkensen), please come out from the South exit and take the buses at bus stop No.4.
*Map resource: Hokuriku Takayama pass
|Takaoka station||Shin Takaoka station||Johana train station|| Shirakawa-go
*The bus highlighted by blue color only running during weekend
Hope you enjoy your trip, have fun in Shirakawa-go.